An Overview of the Years 1991-2000
The 1990s witnessed the post-Communist realignment of Europe and the proposed expansion of the European Union to admit countries from Eastern Europe, formerly part of the Soviet Block. The ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict remained unresolved. Worldwide economic boom with the development of the internet, and the rise of .com companies.
In Ireland it was the decade of the 'Celtic Tiger' with a huge growth in hi-tech computer-based industries. For the first time immigration replaced emigration. In 1994 the IRA ceasefire and the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement of 1998 brought 30 years of violence in the North of Ireland to an end.
1991 Dublin City of Culture.
1998 (10 April) Belfast Agreement (or Good Friday Agreement) signed.
2000 (18 Mar) U2 receive Freedom of Dublin.
2000 City Hall renovated.
© Dublin City Public Libraries
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesDublin City Public Libraries
Contact this library »
- History and the Historian
- History of Ireland Feature
- Ireland's Built Heritage
- Tudor Ireland
- Political Change in the 17th Century
- 1798 Rebellion in Ireland
- Social Change: The Workhouses
- Important Irish & International Events 1900-2000
- An Overview of the Years 1900-1910
- An Overview of the Years 1911-1920
- An Overview of the Years 1921-1930
- An Overview of the Years 1931-1940
- An Overview of the Years 1941-1959
- An Overview of the Years 1960-1970
- An Overview of the Years 1971-1980
- An Overview of the Years 1981-1990
- An Overview of the Years 1991-2000
- Historic Film Clips Collection
- Topics for Study
- Further Resources
- Environmental and Social Studies
- Home Economics
- Games & 3D Tours
- How to do Research
- Find your Local LibraryFind your Local Library
- Ask a LibrarianAsk a Librarian
- How to do a ProjectHow to do a Project