Rossmore Castle

Rossmore Castle was very large and complex building, constructed on the outskirts of Monaghan town in Tudor Gothic style in 1827 by the 3rd Lord Rossmore, to the designs of William Vitruvius Morrison. An extension was added in 1858 in Scottish Baronial style, designed by William Henry Lynn.

A main feature of the original building was a large square tower and turret with crow step battlements. The extension also featured two towers, one with a polygonal turret and cupola, the other a smaller square tower with a spire.

The building underwent further smaller changes, a number of which were inspired by a competition which had developed over the years between Lord Rossmore and Mr. Shirley of Lough Fea, as to which of them could claim to have the largest room in County Monaghan. As a result the drawing room in Rossmore Castle was enlarged five times!

Eventually the combined changes and additions resulted in a building with three towers and over 117 windows in 53 different shapes and sizes.

After World War II the house developed a severe case of dry rot, and the 6th Lord Rossmore and his family were forced to leave the castle and take up residence in Camla Vale, a Georgian house owned by the family and situated within the estate grounds. The castle was eventually demolished in 1974.

Next - The Roslea Incidentnext

Upload to this page

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.

Map Search

Related Libraries

Monaghan County Library
Contact this library »


History & Heritage

Popular Sections