Gaelic Games [Cumann Luthchleas Gael]

First meeting of GAA in Carlow

The Gaelic Athletic Association, more commonly known as the G.A.A. was active in County Carlow from about 1886 onwards. It appears however, that there were only a limited number of clubs in existence during those early yeas. It was not until 1888 that they became more numerous. The first meeting of the association in Co. Carlow was held in the Young Men's Catholic Society Rooms, Carlow on April 2nd, 1888. Nine clubs were represented at the meeting Aghade, Ballon, Borris, Carlow, Clonegal, Clonmore, Hacketstown, Rathvilly and Ticknock. Michael P. Maher was elected to chair the meeting and he was proposed by F. Stenson and seconded by P. McCall.

The chairman addressed the delegates following this, the business of appointing officers and committee was dealt with. Officers were appointed for a six month period until October, 1888. They were
President John Kehoe proposed by M.P. Maher, seconded by P. McCall
Secretary F. Stenson, proposed by W. Bergin, seconded by T. Donohoe
Treasurer E.J. Doyle, proposed by W. Bergin seconded by J. Murphy

The Committee included: Messrs. Ryan, McCall, J. Murphy, Paul Maher, T.B. Donohoe, P. Lynch, Owen Doyle, P. Kelly. It was decided not to hold the County Championship until the next season.

A Committee meeting was held at the racquet court, Carlow on May 15th at which J.Conlan presided. T Keegan was appointed Assistant Secretary on the resignation of J. Ryan.


previousPrevious - Hurling on Horseback
Next - First County Convention in Carlownext