Golf

Carlow Golf Club was originally known as the [Royal] Leinster Golf Club. It was founded at a meeting in the Clubhouse Hotel, Carlow, (later known as St. Brigids Hospital), on May 18th, 1899. The co-founders were Dr. Francis Brennan of Castledermot County Kildare and P. Lynch, The Abbey, Athy, County Kildare.

The first course was at Gotham between Carlow and Maganey. It was a 9 hole links, and was officially opened in July 1899. Captain C. Duckett Steuart was the first Captain of the club. The Landed Gentry and professional classes were prominently represented in its membership. Membership fees were set at one guinea (21 shillings) for gentlemn and 10 shillings and 6 pence for ladies.

The Great Southern and Western Railway facilitated members travelling to Carlow or Maganey Stations for golf purposes. They were offered return tickets at single fares which could be procured from "the Honorary Secretary".

The name of the Golf Club changed to Carlow Golf Club on June 27th 1902. The club was affiliated to the Golfing Union at that time also. Messrs Thompsons a well-known Carlow engineering firm, built the pavilion at Gotham in 1904. It cost 99.

The Golf Club moved to a site at Oak Park on the Bruen Estate in 1922. Cecil Baracroft was the architect and designed this 18 hole links on a 164 acre site. Mr. Bruen was President of the Club between the years 1912-1927.

The Clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1960. However, in May 1961, Carlow Golf Club purchased the Deerpark site from the Irish Land Commission for a sum of 2,500. The architect of the new clubhouse was Mr. Shaffrey and the builder was Mr. Edward Byrne. His tender of 12,400 for the construction was accepted by the club in 1962.

The new clubhouse at Carlow Golf Club was officially opened by the then President Hugh O'Donnell. The 9 hole Oak Park course adjoins the 18 hole Championship course at Deerpark since 2003.

Gallery


previousPrevious - County Carlow Lawn Tennis Tournament 1884
Next - Presidentsnext