Clubhouse

The first clubhouse was situated in a field owned by a Mr Corcoran, near to De La Salle College. The club moved across the river in 1885 and occupied two different premises in the Ferrybank area.



In 1980, the Boat Club decided to move back to the city side of the river and set up it's clubhouse in Canada Street, close to the river. Waterford Boat Club provided much needed sporting and social facilities in the area.



1978 was an important year for the club, with its one hundred year celebrations. Many events took place during the year, including a special presentation from the Mayor in recognition of the contribution that the Waterford Boat Club had made to the sporting life of the city.



The Centenary Regatta took place on the 3rd June 1978 and was a great success. This was followed by the Centenary Ball, with former members from as far away as America and Britain in attendance.


Urban renewal was an important feature in Waterford in the 1990s. The area around Canada Street was redeveloped and the clubhouse was demolished and rebuilt.The present building was officially opened in October 1997. The area around the Boat Club is similar to port scenes in France with many colourful boats and long winding streets.

Gallery


previousPrevious - The Beginnings
Next - Pontoonnext