Park Canal

History of the Canal

The Park Canal was constructed in 1757-1758, linking the River Shannon with the Abbey River. In its heyday it was an invaluable transport system for heavy goods, particularly Guinness from the former Guinness warehouse close to Lock Quay. The goods were transported from Limerick to Shannon, and from there to Dublin via the Grand Canal. It took four days for the goods to reach Dublin, which was considered an ideal time for the Guinness to mellow. With the modernisation of transport and the building of the hydroelectric power station at Ardnacrusha in 1929, the canal soon became defunct and fell into disrepair.

previousPrevious - Parks
Next - River Shannonnext