The Cork Electric Tramway System operated from the area near the Father Mathew statue in Patrick Street between 1898 and 1931. The routes were: Blackpool-Douglas, Summerhill-Sunday's Well, and Tivoli-Blackrock. The trams were replaced by buses in 1931. The trams soon became a familiar sight on the streets of Cork. At first however, local newspapers reported that they caused considerable alarm to the horses which pulled most of the wheeled traffic on Cork's streets!
This photograph is of the Cork electric tram, near St. Luke's Cross in Cork.
The twentieth century saw work begin on improving the quantity and quality of housing in Cork. Real improvements began when large housing schemes were built in places such as Ballyphehane, Turner's Cross, Hollyhill and other suburbs from the 1920s on.