Important dates in the 18th Century

Upload to this page

Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.




1773



In 1773 a school existed in Raheny. It was called 'Raheny Parochial School'. It was a Church of Ireland parish school. It had only one teacher. His name was William Biggs.

English was the only subject taught in the school, in order to help protect and promote the English language and English culture. It is not known where the school was located.

1787

In 1787 a 'new' Church of Ireland Parochial School was built in Raheny. William Biggs continued working as the school's only teacher. Samuel Dick funded the building of the school, because he wanted to help educate the poor children of Raheny. It then became known as Dick's Charity School.

About Samuel Dick


What do we know about Samuel Dick?

Samuel Dick was a very successful Linen Merchant. He lived in Violet Hill, which later became known as Edenmore House and is known today as St. Joseph's Hospital.

He was a director of Bank of Ireland and he held the top job as Governor from 1797 to 1799. He was also a director of the Hibernian Insurance Company and was a trustee of the Malahide Turnpike Road, which controlled the repairing of the Malahide, Howth and Clontarf Roads.

When Samuel Dick died in 1802, he left the Crescent Cottages in Raheny village to the people who looked after the school, so that the rent from Crescent Cottages could be used to pay the salary of the school's teacher. At that time the government did not pay teachers or fund schools.

What do we know about Dick's Charity School?

Dick's Charity School

Samuel Dick's School House today.

This is a photograph of Samuel Dick's old school house today. It was built in 1787. Samuel Dick was a well-to-do merchant who lived at Violet Hill (which was later renamed Edenmore House and now St. Joseph's Hospital). After Samuel Dick died in 1801, this was funded by a Trust (the successor to which still exists) providing an income for "an endowment for a school in Raheny for poor children of all persuasions".

Courtesy of www.raheny.com

cost Samuel Dick 150

Old money explained

Old money's value calculated.

to build in 1787. The two storey building still exists today. It is located in the centre of Raheny, but is now used as a restaurant.
Flash

Raheny Schools Timeline Through the Centuries

Raheny Schools Timeline Through the Centuries