Distributor / Retailer Obligations under the Directive
“Distributor" means any person that provides batteries and accumulators on a professional basis to an end-user. Their obligations will encompass:
- Retailers take back obligation at no cost to the end user and with no obligation to purchase.
- Receptacles for waste batteries will have to be located at a suitable location in the store (it will be the responsibility of self complying producers and compliance schemes to supply receptacles).
- Applies to Portable, Industrial and Automotive batteries.
- Take back systems for household batteries may operate in conjunction with take back systems for household WEEE.
- Retailers will be prohibited from placing on the market, batteries supplied by an unregistered producer.
- Retailers who import batteries form outside the state have producer responsibilities.