During the first half of the nineteenth century the town made great strides towards prosperity. The population was on the increase and industries were growing. In 1837 there were a flour mill and three oatmeal mills on the river and the corn trade expanded due to the extension of the Grand Canal to the town in 1828. There were a large coach factory one for farming implements, two breweries, tanyards, a large bacon curing establishment and a felt hat manufactury.

Branches of the National Bank, the Bank of Ireland and the Agricultural and Commerical Bank were established in 1836. During these years also a Loan Fund (begun in 1823) was in existence, having a capital of 1432. In 1842 it circulated 11672 in 3462 loans, clearing a net profit of 130 and expended 120 for charitable purposes.

The limestone quarries were opened in the first quarter of the century and many of the beautiful buildings were built of that material. The Lunatic Asylum for the Province of Connaught was erected in 1843 at a cost of 27,000; the Union Workhouse in 1841 at a cost of 9,600. Later in the century the Catholic Church of St. Michael and the Protestant church of St. John were built from that source. One hundred and fifty stone cutters were employed and the cut stone was exported to England and the United States. In 1865 the O'Connell statue in Ennis was carved by James Cahill a pupil of Hogan's from an eleven and a half ton block from the Ballinasloe quarries. Likewise the General Teeling memorial Colooney, County Sligo, The Manchester Martyrs memorial, Manchester; Lough Cutra Castle, Gort; Garbally house and Lord Ashtown's Mansion, Woodlawn; a street of shop fronts in New York; the Ulster Bank, Dame St., Dublin and many others. This industry flourished until the end of the century to be expanded again in our own time.

A dispensary was in operation in 1824 and continued but a fever hospital deriving support from subscriptions lasted only twelve years.

previousPrevious - The Farming Society of Ireland
Next - The Town Commissionersnext