"Bréac" is a Gaelic word meaning multi-coloured or speckled. Hence, Castlebrack means a stone fortification with a speckled appearance. This castle was located a short distance south of Castlebrack graveyard and was built by Tadhg MacLaighnigh Ui Duinn, a chief in 1475. He was also known as Leineach and was 14th in direct line from Duinn. It may have been built on the site of a former Norman castle according to K.W. Nicholls in "The O Doyne Manuscript." The ancient name of the place was Toghesuier.

The castle was occupied by the clan Tanist or deputy chief. Castlebrack is described in the Schedule of the Division of the Lands and Chiefries as being associated with the litigation between Charles and Teige: "The Castle at the town of Castle Brake (sic), the hall, the parlour at the end of the hall, the kitchen, the brewhouse, the bake house and the rest of the houses within the bawn, the haggard and the barns on the south side of the castle, the garden, the orchard, the park, the stable and the houses for cattle on the west side, and also the houses and tenements for tenants and other uses situated on the north and west paries of the said town of Castle Brake (sic), in the territory of Iregan in Queen's County." This castle was second in size and importance to Baun Riagain at Tinnahinch. Terence O'Dunne of Ballinakill, Clonaslee carried out a major refurbishment around 1688. By the time of Dr. John O'Donovan's Survey, in 1838, the castle was in ruins.

previousPrevious - Brittas Castle
Next - Castlecuffenext