Street Names

Portlaoise consisted principally of one long Main street, in which the chief business of the town was carried out in, with other smaller ones leading from it, along with a spacious Market Square with a turret and a clock. Below is a list of the street names in Portlaoise (Maryborough) in 1850:

  • Market Square.
  • Main Street.
  • Lester's Lane - Beside Bank of Ireland.
  • Pepper's Lane - Opposite Egans.
  • Well Road - current name New Road or Timahoe Road
  • Chapel Lane - Church Avenue.
  • Church Lane - Railway Street (from Main Street to old Churchyard
  • Church Street - Church Street (also part is known as Tower Hill
  • Mill Lane - Mill Lane. also Green Mill Lane
  • The Green Road - Coote Street to Harpurs Lane, then Green Road to Ballyfin Road
  • Coote Street or Green Road.
  • Minister's Lane - Harpurs Lane
  • Quality Row - Grattan Street.
  • Factory Lane
  • Tea Lane (Tay Lane) - Off Grattan Street to Bowe's factory.
  • Barrack Road (Old). - Old Abbeyleix Road
  • Stradbally Road.
  • Turnpike Road Dublin Road.
  • Ridge Road - Ridge Road
  • Ridge Road.
  • Hackett's Lane - Railway Street from Main Street as far as O'Rourke's.
  • Mosse's Hill Upper Borris Road, outside St. Paul's Primary School.
  • Tin Pan Alley - New Row
  • The Golden Croft - Area near the Railway Station was occupied by the Christian Brothers
  • The rampart Field - Area within the walls of the old Fort
  • Buttermilk Square - possibly the Lower Suare

previousPrevious - St. Peter's Church
Next - Town Hallnext