Geography of Cork city

THE DEVELOPMENT OF CORK CITY THE EVIDENCE FROM MAPS

The centre of Cork city is built on a number of marshy islands at the lowest fording point of the River Lee. The word 'Cork' comes from the Irish word 'corcach' which means a marsh. The North and South Main Streets are built on two of the largest islands, the south island and the north island.


A map of 1545 gives a very good outline of the different islands. The first settlement near the city was not on the islands themselves but south west of the islands where a monastery was founded.