The following items are available for reference at Fingal Local Studies Library, and are to be found in Fingal Libraries' online catalogue athttp://www.iol.ie/~fincolib
1) Rush from old picture postcards - a collection of postcards from the 1950s, of Rush village, Rush harbour, Kenure House, and Kenure Church. The collection is part of the Fingal Local Studies postcard collection.
2) A selection of interior and exterior photographs of Kenure House, held in Fingal Local Studies Library, and sourced from the Irish Architectural Archive, Merrion Square, and from the Office of Public Works, St Stephen's Green.
3) "Calendar of Ormond Deeds", (1172-1603), edited by Edmund Curtis, 1935. The Calendar, which consists of 6 volumes, contains many entries relating to Rush, some of them to Kenure in particular. (For example, in Volume III, the entry for Deed 222, page 198, is followed by an editor's note referring to the manor of Rush being granted, in 1465, by "royal letters patent" to Gerald fitzGerald, "our beloved cousin", and the entry for Deed 245, pages 221-227, is given in full, and is introduced thus: "Rentals and accounts of the manors of Turvey, Rush and Balscadden, Co. Dublin, in the years 16-23 Edward IV and 1 Richard III (1476-1484)". The tenant of Kenure is listed as "John Spens pro Kynnewr".)
4) "Calendar of Inquisitions Formerly in the Office of the Chief Remembrancer of the Exchequer prepared from the MSS of the Irish Record Commission", published for the Irish Manuscripts Commission in 1991.The 'Calendar' is primarily about inheritances, covering the period from the reign of Henry the Eighth, (1491-1547), to that of James the First, (1566-1625). There are15 references to Kenure, concerning absenteeism, apprenticeships, salvage from shipwrecks, pastures, religious matters, inheritances and greyhounds.
5) "The Civil Survey, A.D. 1654-1656, Volume VII, County of Dublin", edited by Robert C. Simington, for the Irish Manuscripts Commission, 1945. Pages 60-61 give details of the proprietor and the details of lands and premises at 'Kinure', in Luske Parish, in the Barony of Balrothery.
6) "Down Survey", maps prepared by William Petty, between 1655 and 1659. Photocopy of the map entitled " The Barony of Balrothery in the County of Dublin", by 'Thom: West Edward Wilson and William Farrand'. "Kinure" is marked on this map, in the "Parrish of Lusk", beside a small icon of a castle.
7) "John Rocque's Map of the County of Dublin", 1760, originally issued in eight large sheets, reproduced in 1998 in "The A to Z of Georgian Dublin", edited and indexed by Paul Ferguson.
8) "Taylor and Skinner's Maps of the Roads of Ireland, Surveyed 1777", (Published for the Authors as the Act directs, 14th Nov., 1778). Map number 2, on which is located "Rush House", later renamed "Kenure".
9)"Statistical Survey of the County Dublin", by Joseph Archer, 1801. Page 99 contains a short description of "Rush House, the seat of Roger Palmer Esq.".
10) "A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland", by Samuel Lewis, 1837. Volume II, page 541, describes Rush and Kenure House.
11) "General History of the County of Dublin", by John d'Alton, 1838. Page 417 mentions Sir Robert Echlin, who died in 1757; pages 427-432 describe the village of Rush, and "Rush House...(in the) demesne, more properly called Kinure Park".
12) "The Parliamentary Gazeteer of Ireland", 1844. Part VIII, page 196, contains a description of Rush, and a mention of the different owners of the "Manor of Rush" (Rush House), since the time of Edward the 1st, (13th Century).
13) "Burke's Landed Gentry", 1846, ("A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland", by John Burke, and John Bernard Burke, 1846). Volume 2, page 993, gives the family history of 'Palmer of Summer Hill', (County Mayo), and mentions Rush House.
14) "Griffith's Valuation", 1852. The section entitled 'Valuation of the several tenements comprised in the barony of Balrothery, East'. Pages 66-81 list the occupiers, and the rateable valuation of the lands and buildings of Rush, and Rush Demesne.
15) "Burke's Peerage", 1848, ("A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire", by Sir Bernard Burke, 1858). Pages 765-768, give the family history of the Butler family, who came to Ireland with Henry II in 1177, and who were created Earls of Ormonde by Edward III, in 1328.
16) "Return of Owners of Land of One Acre and Upwards ...in Ireland", H.M.S.O., 1876. Page 18 features Sir Roger Palmer and his holding of nearly 4000 acres at Kenure Park. (His holding of 80,990 acres in County Mayo appears on page 311).
17) "The Landowners of Ireland", compiled by U. H. Hussey de Burgh, 1878. On page 361 there is an entry for 'Palmer, Sir Roger William Henry, Bart.', which refers to Kenure Park and to Sir. Roger's other holdings in Ireland.
18) "Fingal and its Churches", by Robert Walsh, 1888. Page186 describes Kenure Church, built 1866.
19) "North Dublin", by Dillon Cosgrave, 1909. Pages 69-70 describe the inscription on the tomb of Sir Robert Echlin, in Rush churchyard, and mention the Palmer family and Kenure Park.
20) "The Neighbourhood of Dublin", by Weston St. John Joyce, 1939. Pages 307-8 describe the village of Rush, and give some historical facts on Kenure.
21) "Fingal, Story and Guide", by Michael O'Connell, 1950s. Pages 27-28, Chapter 4, contain a section entitled "Rush".
22) "Shapes of Ireland, Maps and Their Makers, 1564-1839", by J.H. Andrews, 1977. Page 295 features a map, entitled "Dublin and District from Larcom and Griffith's map of Ireland, 1839", on which is marked Kenure Park.
23) "Burke's Guide to Country Houses, Volume 1, Ireland", by Mark Bence-Jones, 1978. Pages 163-4 contain a detailed architectural description, and a photograph of Kenure House.
24) "Old Tales of Fingal", An Taisce, Fingal, 1984. Pages 33-34 refer to Kenure in the chapter entitled "Rush - Some Local Place Names".
25) "Crimean Courtship", by Betty Askwith, 1985. The introduction describes the life of Eleanor Ambrose, who married Sir Roger Palmer in 1751, and from whom was descended Miss Ellen Palmer, whose personal diary is the subject of the book.
26) "The Villages of Dublin", by Jimmy Wren, 1988. The chapter entitled "Rush", pages 86-87, gives a brief history of Kenure and its owners. It also describes the village of Rush, and its history as a centre for smuggling in the 18th Century.
27) "The Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland", by Desmond Fitzgerald, et al, 1988. Pages 60-61 contain an entry and 3 photographs relating to Kenure House.
28) "A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland", by Jeremy Williams, 1994. Pages 166-167 contain entries on "Kenure Park", (Kenure House, and the Church of Ireland in Rush). The house was added on to in the 1840s, and there is a reproduction of the architectural drawing of the house, by George Papworth, from "the Builder", of 1855.
29) "Rush by the Sea", Rush I.C.A., 1996. Chapters 8-11, pages 22-51, have the following titles: "Kenure", "The Echlins", "The Palmers", and "Beyond the Walls".
30) "Discovering Fingal, a Photographic Tour", Fingal County Libraries, 1997.This is a collection of contemporary photographs, including a photograph of the (surviving) portico of Kenure House.
31) "In Ruins, the Once Great Houses of Ireland", by Simon Marsden, 1997. Pages 44-45 provide a brief history, and photograph of Kenure House.
32) "The Story of Kenure House and the Families Who Owned It From Norman Times", by George Pratt, 1998, (a 35 page typescript). This is the original essay on the history of Kenure House, from which the article in "Fragments of Fingal", (see also item 33), was condensed.
33) "Fragments of Fingal", Fingal County Libraries, 1998. Pages 15-18 contain an article by George Pratt, entitled "Recollections, 1, Kenure House 1938-1941". (See also item 32).
34) "By Swerve of Shore, Exploring Dublin's Coast", by Michael Fewer, 1998. Pages 25-29 give a description and history of Rush, and refer to the history of Kenure, and the modern housing development, which has replaced it.
35) "Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies", Volume II, 1999. Pages 174-197 contain an article by Brendan Grimes on the church architecture of J.E. Rogers, and a description and illustrations of Kenure Church.
36) "The New Neighbourhood of Dublin", by Joseph Hone et al., 2002. Pages 50-51, & 55, give a potted history of Kenure, a map showing its location in relation to Rush and Lusk, and a photograph of the house, circa 1930, and a contemporary one of the remaining portico.
37) "Survey of the Architectural Heritage of Fingal", Duchas, 2002. Pages 44-45 contain a paragraph on the architecture and history of Kenure, a photograph of the portico, and a reproduction, from the Irish Architectural Archive, of the architectural plan of Kenure House by George Papworth, 1842. The accompanying CDRom contains six images of remaining gates and buildings on what was originally the estate of Kenure.
Upload to this page
Add your photos, text, videos, etc. to this page.
Related LibrariesFingal County Library
Contact this library »
- History of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland
- Big Houses of Ireland Feature
- Bellevue House and Demesne, Co. Wexford
- Belvedere House, Co. Westmeath
- Bessborough House and Estate, Cork
- Charlesfort Estate, Co. Meath
- Corkagh House and Estate, Dublin
- Digby Estate
- Dromana House, Co. Waterford
- Edgeworthstown House, Co. Longford
- George Berkeley and Dysart Castle, Co. Kilkenny
- Glin Castle, Co. Limerick
- Heywood House, Co. Laois
- Houses of Kerry
- Image, Audio and Video Pilot Project
- Kenure House and Demesne
- Lawrence Family Album
- Leamlara House, Co. Cork
- Lissadell House
- Luttrellstown Castle
- Mary Fort House and The Bodyke Evictions
- Moore Abbey
- Mote Park House
- Mountshannon House and the Fitzgibbons
- Parslickstown House
- Rossmore Castle
- The Big Houses of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown
- Ballymacool House, Co. Donegal
- The Clements Family & Lough Rynn House
- The Cole Bowen Estate
- The Lucans of Laleham
- The Mansion House
- The Powerscourt Demesne
- The Shaws of Dublin
- The Tighe Family & Woodstock Estate
- Cork Archives Pilot Project
- Wildgoose Lodge
- Built Heritage 1700 - Today
- Folklore of Ireland
- Heritage Towns
- Irish Genealogy
- Monuments & Built Heritage
- Pages in History
- Poor Law Union
- Special Collections
- Traditional Crafts