Thurles Famine and War Museum

The Irish Famine And War Museum was created in 1995 when the Thurles Church of Ireland donated a portion of St. Mary's Church in order to commemorate the victims of the Great Irish Potato Famine (1845-1850). The war museum also commemorates centuries of Anglo-Irish wars and Irish participation in many foreign wars.The church graveyard contains the resting place of Lady Elizabeth Matthew, Viscountess of Thurles, a distant ancestor of the British Royal Family and the tomb of Edmond Archur, 'burgess of Thurles'. An interesting item featured in the museum is a sugar bowl used by the 'Liberator' Daniel O' Connell.



St. Mary's Church of Ireland,


Co. Tipperary 

Telephone: +353 (0) 504 21133

Click here  to see a map showing Thurles Famine and War Museum

previousPrevious - Fethard Folk, Farm and Transport Museum
Next - Museum Of Transportnext