The Mills of Templeogue

Templeogue Mill

Templeogue Mill was located close to Templeogue House, and adjacent to Templeogue Village. The ruins of the mill were demolished in 1985 in order to clear the way for the building of the new Tallaght bypass.

A mill is mentioned here as far back as 1394 when William, heir to Robert Meones quit claim to all his right to a watermill on the waters of Doder in Taghmeloge. A mill is also shown at this location on the Down Survey map of 1647.

The mill was operated by the Burkes early in the 19th century but was subsequently burnt down and later rebuilt. It passed into the hands of J.C. Colville and in about 1879 it was bought by William McConchy and Company. It had been lying derelict for many years before its demolition.

Bella Vista Mill

Further up the river from Templeogue Mills, towards Tallaght, were Bella Vista Mills, the uppermost on the City Watercourse. In 1719, in an Act of Parliament relating to the course, they are referred to as 'Ashworth's new Paper Mills'. Two years later Daniel Ashworth petitioned Parliament for protection for this industry.

In 1733 Thomas Slater presented a petition to the Irish House of Commons appealing for financial aid. In 1738 he again appealed and stated that he was the only white paper maker in Ireland. He had two mills at Templeogue and intended to build another one in the Dutch manner. He received 500 from the government. In 1751 he was noted as producing a greater amount of paper than any other mill in Ireland.

In about 1836 these mills were held by Joseph McDonnell whose brother owned the paper mill at Saggart. James McDonnell of Old Bawn Paper Mill and Sir Edward McDonnell of Killeen Paper Mill were both cousins. Joseph McDonnell installed a steam engine at Bella Vista to supplement the water supply. The engine house, a high brick structure with tall windows, is a conspicuous landmark which survives to this day. The mill ceased production in about 1876.

Taylor's Map of Templeogue in 1816

Taylor's Map of Templeogue in 1816
Courtesy of South Dublin Public Libraries

previousPrevious - The Mills of Palmerstown
Next - The Mills of Tallaghtnext