The Bridge, Boyle

The bridges of Boyle, dating from c.1200 to 1864 stand today testament to the engineering techniques of the master craftsmen who built them.

John Nash, the busy architect to the King family, designed the pretty Dromin bridge, and thanks are due to the King family, Earls of Kingston, who had some of the following bridges added to the townscape of Boyle.


Boyle Abbey, and Bridge, Boyle

This is a colour tinted unsent postcard showing the north view of Boyle Abbey and Abbeytown Bridge. The five arched masonry road bridge was built c.1200, and it retains to this day its original form and symmetry, complimenting the nearby setting of Boyle Abbey.

Boyle Abbey, and Bridge, Boyle -

Abbey Bridge, Boyle 1817

This view of the Abbey single arch bridge, taken from its western aspect, has a glossy tinted photo finish. The harp symbol of the Woolstone Bros. London, is in the right hand corner. It was posted from Boyle to Cork in 1909. The bridge was built by the King family in 1817, over the River Boyle. It has a single arch with spectacular span attesting to the high quality engineering techniques of the 19th century. A lady, perhaps a governess and her well attired charges, are captured and condemned forever to peer into the river. The delapidated Abbey ruins are to the left background, whilst the Abbey House is just to the centre of the postcard.

Abbey Bridge, Boyle 1817 -

Dromin Bridge, Rockingham, Boyle

Reflecting the splendour and calm of the beautiful Rockingham estate, Dromin Bridge is a single arch balustraded bridge, built in 1819, for the King family, and designed by John Nash architect of Rockingham House. Unfortunately some of the original limestone pillars have been replaced with concrete balusters, but the bridge still stands and is in use to this day.

Dromin Bridge, Rockingham, Boyle -

The Bridge, Boyle , Co. Roscommon

This bridge was built in 1864 to replace the old bridge, on which stood a statue of King William 111. This statue was removed to the "Pleasure Grounds" when the new bridge seen here, was being built. The King William 111 statue was photographed in all it's glory by William Lawrence in it's new home c.1900. It finally disappeared in the 1930's. Only the plinth remains in the Abbey Park or "Pleasure Grounds", so named and used by the King family when they lived in the town.

The Bridge, Boyle , Co. Roscommon -

previousPrevious - Postcards of Boyle
Next - Buildingsnext