Schools

Gallery

The Convent, Roscommon

The scene caught on camera by William Lawrence in the early 1900's shows the west facing aspect of the convent and chapel in Roscommon town. The detached two storey building in the middle of the card was later adjoined to the main complex, which included an individual school and laundry. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid in 1859, and was completed in 1861. The tower alas is no longer part of the Convent. The three story building in the background is the Primary school and is actually on the other side of the road, on land adjoining the Sacred Heart Church. This is just visible in the right background of the image, with its four stage tower.


The Convent, Roscommon -

Convent Schools, Roscommon c.1970

This is a colour photo postcard of the Convent Schools complex in Roscommon town taken sometime late in the 1960's. The stone building in the right foreground, is the original three storey Primary school opened in 1902, and reduced by one storey in 1964. A pre-fab building extends the Primary school to the left foreground all on the church side of the road. The buildings immediately behind that, are the convent Secondary complex, with the railway station "greened" out in the rear.


Convent Schools, Roscommon c.1970 -

Ranelagh, Roscommon

Possibly taken at the turn of the 20th century, given the dress of the ladies and gentleman with bike, this is the Ranelagh, former endowed schoolhouse, supported by Lord Ranelagh, with a bequest of 52.00 per annum. This view encapsulates the grandness of George Ensor's fine mid to late 18th century house. The two storey ivy and rose clad three bay pedimented breakfront, has the Ranelagh coat of arms over a central doorcase. The Ranelagh schools had a varied history, admitting only children of Protestants, as requested by Lord Ranelagh, in his will. This schoolhouse was reserved for the education of girls only. In 1855, the curate of Roscommon, Fr. James Fitzgerald, was also manager of the school. At the Endowed Schools Commission of that year, Rev. Dr. Graves gave evidence that "there was no institution in which I found the arrangements better, or the instruction of children of a superior class". It continued as a school, apparently for all denominations, in its latter years up to 1912 approximately. The County Surveyor, a Mr. Mullaney lived there with his family.


Ranelagh, Roscommon -

previousPrevious - Churches
Next - Streetsnext