Pdf New Catholic Church, Ballyhooley, Co. Cork.
Size: 10.5K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:14
Pdf Cloyne Cathedral Competition
Size: 10.9K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:12
Pdf Cloyne Cathedral
Size: 29.2K bytesModified: 25 July 2008, 15:17
Pdf Cork Cuvierian Society
Size: 58.7K bytesModified: 25 July 2008, 15:18
Pdf Cork Scientific and Literary Society
Size: 10.0K bytesModified: 25 July 2008, 15:18
Pdf Fermoy Church
Size: 9.9K bytesModified: 25 July 2008, 15:18
Pdf Interesting Discoveries in Cork
Size: 20.4K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:20
Pdf Monkstown Church
Size: 9.5K bytesModified: 25 July 2008, 15:19
Pdf New Cemetery for Cork
Size: 13.3K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:32
Pdf Skibbereen Convent Chapel
Size: 9.1K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:09
Pdf St. Finbarr's
Size: 9.9K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:33
Pdf Windele Monument
Size: 47.2K bytesModified: 23 July 2008, 12:35


Saint Patrick's Church, Fermoy

Saint Patrick's Church in Fermoy was built in the early 1800s. The original church was quite small and was extended in 1843 when Father Timothy Murphy was parish priest. The architects Pugin and Ashlin designed further extensions in 1867 which gave the church its modern appearance. (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.9, 1 August 1867, p.195)

Cork City Libraries

Saint Patrick's Church, Fermoy - Cork City Libraries

Sacred Heart Church, Monkstown

Canon Henry Neville, parish priest of Passage-Monkstown, commissioned Pugin and Ashlin, to design the Sacred Heart Church in the late 1860s. Bishop William Delaney consecrated the church on 27 August 1871. The church is built mainly of brown sandstone with limestone used for the corners and Gorsham stone for ornamental work. Originally the spire was to have a four-faced clock. Local folklore claims that Murphy’s Brewery offered to pay for the clock but Canon McNamara, the then parish priest, refused the offer as he was opposed to the sale of alcohol. (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.9, 1 December 1867, p.309)

Cork City Libraries

Sacred Heart Church, Monkstown - Cork City Libraries

Convent of Mercy - Skibbereen

Catherine McCauley founded the Sisters of Mercy in 1831 in Dublin to care for the poor and the sick and to educate poor children. By 1837 the sisters established a house in Cork. Nuns from the order first came to Skibbereen in 1860 when four sisters from Kinsale opened a school in the town. They remained in Skibbereen until July 2003 when the convent and school were closed and the remaining sisters joined other houses of the order in Cork. Skibbereen Town Council gave the sisters a civic reception in 2003 to mark their contribution to education in Skibbereen for 143 years. The well-known architects Ashlin and Pugin designed the Convent of Mercy.. In January 2004 the property was sold for €1.5 million (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.9, 15 August 1867, p.209)

Cork City Libraries

Convent of Mercy - Skibbereen - Cork City Libraries

Windele Monument

John Windele's grave in St Joseph's cemetery, formerly the Botanic Gardens, in Cork is marked by a Celtic cross designed by Richard Rolt Brash and executed by Patrick Scannell. Windele (1801-1865) was a keen antiquarian and historian. His book Historical and descriptive notices of the city of Cork and its vicinity first published in 1839 is one of the best books on 19 th century Cork. (Image from: Irish Builder, Vol.9, 15 October 1867, p.271)

Cork City Libraries

Windele Monument - Cork City Libraries

previousPrevious - The Irish Builder
Next - 1868next