Co. Carlow Football Club [Rugby]

Carlow Rugby Club, officially known as County Carlow Football Club, was founded in October 1873. It is deemed to be one of the oldest rugby clubs in Leinster. Its founder was Colonel Horace Rochfort of Clogrennan, near Carlow. He was also first president of the club from 1873-1891.

The Club was founded at a meeting at the Club House Hotel, later known as St. Brigid's Hospital. The County Carlow Football Club was elected a member of the Irish Rugby Football Union on December 1st, 1899. It was therefore in existence for over twenty-five years before attaining affiliation.

The club colours were registered as black and amber. Rugby was played in different venues as time passed. The first games were played at the football meadow in Tinypark House. The next venue was the Rectory field in Killeshin outside Carlow town, which was loaned to the club by Archdeacon Jameson. Rugby has been played in different locations in Carlow Town including Slocock's field at Granby Row, the Carlow Showgrounds at Barrack Street, Haughton's field in Pembroke, Doyles Paddock and circa 1910, in the then Cricket Club grounds on the Dublin Road.

On June 16th, 1964 the club acquired the title of 12 acres of land on the Oakpark Demesne from the Irish Land Commission. The grounds and club house were developed on that site. The first match played in this new location was the Junior Interprovincial match between Leinster and Munster, on December 3rd 1967. There grounds are still the club headquarters for County Carlow Football Club, and are a popular venue for rugby players and fans from all over Ireland.

previousPrevious - Rowing
Next - Tennisnext