Central Library Re-Opens

Lady Lane reopened to the public of Watreford City on 12th January 2004 The refurbished building designed by McCullough Mulvin,

Architects maintains much of the original structure of the Carnegie Library built by Waterford Corporation with the assistance of grant aid from Mr Andrew Carnegie in 1903

The site for the refurbished City Library covers two properties at the corner of Bakehouse Lane and Lady Lane, the original library premises and an undertakers yard. Following initial excavations, part of the City Wall was discovered.

The west wall of the existing Library building divides the site on the line of the medieval city wall, which separated the 'old' Hiberno-Norse town from the walled Anglo-Norman suburb. This feature adds to the history of the building and the City Wall is clearly on view and is a major feature of the new City Library.

The refurbished Library includes a new entrance in the new extended part of the Library The library services extend over three floors, and include a large sunny Childrens area on the ground floor, extensive public computer access, dedicated audio listening area and both quiet and social spaces.

"What the building offers to users is choice to escape and engage in a multitude of activities from browsing books, newspapers or on-line, to listening to audio materials of a live music or poetry performance in aesthetically pleasing spaces

At the heart of Waterford City, the library has traditionally been regarded as a library for the people." Jane Cantwell Waterford City Librarian Central Library was winner of the prestigious CILIP Award Ireland in the category the Library as 'Heart of the Community'. in 2005


previousPrevious - Ballybricken
Next - Ardkeen Librarynext