The Library moves to other premises

In 1953 the Library relocated to a Georgian building in O'Connell Street. The building was the former home of Alderman Samuel Barker, Mayor of the City. It contained a well stocked library, a reading room, meeting rooms, as well as the City Art Gallery.

During the 1980s there was an increased emphasis on urban renewal in Waterford City. It was decided, as part of a regeneration programme for the inner city, to move the library back to Lady Lane. The library in Lady Lane was reopened by Tom Browne, Mayor of Waterford City in April 1982.

By the early 1990s, it was clear that the library could not cater for the growing demand for a modern, progressive, library and plans were put in place to extend the library. The Library moved again in 2002, this time to Ballybricken.

Pirate Ship
Courtesy of Annette Wallace

previousPrevious - Andrew Carnegie
Next - Ballybrickennext