The Town Commissioners

The Town Commissioners came into being in 1841 and the first meeting was called by order of the Lord Lieutenant at Craig's Hotel on February 22nd of that year. Rear-Admiral William Le Poer Trench was in the chair and the members included Father Lawrence Dillon, P.P., Rev. Mr. Traves Jones and representatives of the professional and business interests in the town. Their first responsibility was the public lighting of the town and a gas works was immediately erected at a cost of 1421. On the 16th March 1880Ballinasloe was constituted an Urban Sanitary District and in 1897 the Urban Council was established.

previousPrevious - Industries
Next - The Ballinasloe Union Agricultural Societynext